A popular restaurant at Sacramento Executive Airport could remain closed for about two years after construction uncovered extensive structural damage, Sacramento County officials said.
Read more Sacramento councilwoman is pregnant and up for election. ‘Don’t have to compromise’
Aviator’s Restaurant has been closed since Dec. 24, when it shut down for the holidays. It remained closed into the new year so crews could replace the kitchen flooring, Sacramento County Airports spokesperson Scott Johnston said.
During that construction, workers found “previously unseen structural problems” beneath the flooring, according to a county airports statement posted to Facebook.
Since then, issues have been found throughout the more than 75-year-old terminal building and tower, Sacramento County Supervisor Patrick Kennedy said in a Facebook post.
“Unfortunately, by the time we find funding and complete the project, we likely are looking at two years,” said Kennedy, whose district includes the airport at 6151 Freeport Blvd.
Inspections found mold, asbestos in the original flooring, water intrusion and a kitchen floor with compromised concrete supported by deteriorated rebar. County officials said those issues must be fully remediated before customers can return to the longtime restaurant.
Repairs are expected to include removing damaged materials and rebuilding portions of the foundation where the supporting steel has deteriorated.
In his post, Kennedy said a two-month engineering study found weakened rebar in multiple parts of the airport complex. Johnston said he could confirm only the damage discovered in the restaurant.
Read more FEMA slows Grizzly Flats rebuild after Caldor Fire. ‘We need to help ourselves’
Aviator’s Restaurant is a longtime local favorite known for its diner-style menu, including eggs and French toast for breakfast and burgers, pasta and patty melts for lunch. Customers dine beneath hanging model airplanes and can watch planes take off and land through floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the airport tarmac.
In its statement, the county said it is working with restaurant owner Cheung-Sang Chik to reach a “mutually beneficial decision” about the damage and the restaurant’s future.
“We all want the same thing – to have a restaurant that is safe and healthy for Chik, his staff, and his loyal and dedicated customers,” a portion of the statement reads. “Contrary to recent posts on NextDoor and other social media sites, Airports and Chik are working closely together to develop a solution.”
The county said it will update the public once a decision is reached.
The latest setback comes about two and a half years after the restaurant appeared at risk of losing its lease. At the end of 2023, Sacramento County declined to renew Aviator’s lease after 24 years, instead offering a month-to-month agreement while accepting bids for the space. County officials described the move as a routine administrative procedure.
The lease was renewed after an outpouring of community support, including a Change.org petition that drew more than 4,300 signatures.
Kennedy said that once the engineering report is complete, he plans to hold a community meeting to discuss the damage, the future of Aviator’s Restaurant and Sacramento Executive Airport.
Read more A new Vietnamese street food restaurant to open in south Sacramento
“I wish I had better news,” he said.
