ANGELES, Philippines – At least one person was confirmed dead after a building under construction collapsed in the Philippines on Sunday, authorities said, as rescuers scoured the rubble for 21 people listed as missing.
Read more Waymo Freeway Robotaxis Paused After Rider Says Trip Turned Terrifying
Officials said an investigation had been launched into what caused the collapse of the multi-storey building in the city of Angeles, north of the capital, Manila.
Rescuers at the scene could be seen clambering over a mound of concrete slabs and mangled steel as they searched for survivors. They used trained rescue dogs, heartbeat detection devices and heavy equipment to sift through the debris.
RESCUE EFFORTS CONTINUE
Authorities said the person confirmed to have died was a 65-year-old Malaysian national whose body had been recovered from a neighbouring building – a hotel – that had also been affected by the collapse.
Maria Leah Sajili, information officer at the regional Bureau of Fire Protection, told a press briefing that among the 21 people reported missing, five people were confirmed trapped.
Read more This Aston Martin DB9 Swaps Its V12 for an LS3 V8 and Actual Flame Throwers
Two of the five were communicating with rescuers, but the status of the others was not immediately clear.
Rescue efforts were continuing, but Sajili warned that operations would become more challenging after dark.
Officials told reporters that planning records showed the building was intended as a nine-storey condo-hotel under the approved permit, but that a swimming pool was being constructed on a 10th floor.
(Reporting by Jay Ereno and Noel Celis; Additional reporting by Karen Lema and Eloisa Lopez; Editing by Christian Schmollinger, William Mallard and Helen Popper)
Read more Soaring stocks could face rocky patch as earnings wind down, yields perk up
Copyright Reuters or USA Today Network via Reuters Connect.
This story was originally published May 24, 2026 at 5:32 AM.
