Live Updates: Kristin Smart investigators unload shovels at Susan Flores’ home

This is a developing story. Check back to sanluisobispo.com for updates.
To get breaking news alerts, click here

Read more Sacramento region nonprofits raise record amount for Big Day of Giving

The search for Kristin Smart at the Arroyo Grande home of convicted killer Paul Flores’ mother continued into its third day Friday as the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office shared its first update on what’s happening at the site.

In a wide-ranging news conference Friday morning, Sheriff Ian Parkinson said investigators believe they have found evidence of human remains at Susan Flores’ Arroyo Grande home in the continuing search for Smart, who went missing nearly 30 years ago on Memorial Day weekend of 1996.

“We believe that based on what we’re looking at — evidence-wise, scientific evidence — that human remains were there at one time or are still there,” Parkinson said.

Susan Flores is the mother of Paul Flores, who was convicted in 2022 of killing Smart when she was a first-year student at Cal Poly.

She has never been charged with a crime associated with Kristin Smart’s disappearance.

Follow The Tribune for today’s live updates from the scene:

New tarps cover part of Flores house, shovels taken into yard

Activity Wednesday and Thursday at the site was focused largely around soil sampling and ground penetrating radar, as well as a search of the home.

Friday, however, saw some new developments.

Tarps were installed along several edges of the Branch Street property early Friday morning, blocking off the view of portions of the Flores backyard from view.

During the media conference Friday morning, Parkinson said those were in place to shield the work, “sealing it from public view.”

“It’s not something is being hidden,” he said. “It’s the fact that we don’t want people guessing what we’re doing. We need to work in peace, and that’s what we’re doing now.”

At 11 a.m., a Sheriff’s Office investigator unloaded at least three shovels from a county vehicle and brought at least two into the backyard. During the press conference, Parkinson said that any digging up of the yard would require a new, separate “piggyback” search warrant signed by a judge. “A judge is giving you permission to do certain things,” Parkinson said. “You have to find probable cause to do the next step.”

What to know about Kristin Smart case, search

In a news release Wednesday, the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office said it was conducting an investigation into the property in the 500 block of East Branch Street in Arroyo Grande.

Read more Sacramento region nonprofits raise record amount for Big Day of Giving

The investigation was “the result of a search warrant signed by a Superior Court judge,” the release said.

“The Sheriff’s Office remains committed to bringing Kristin home to her family,” the release said.

Denise Smart, Kristin Smart’s mother, has previously said that the case will not be over for the family until her daughter’s remains are found and returned home.

“There’s no finality for us,” she told The Tribune in January following Paul Flores’ final appeal being denied.

The Smart family has not issued a statement.

In recent years, Susan Flores’ Arroyo Grande home has become a prominent point of interest in the push to find Kristin Smart’s remains — especially after a group of scientists in 2023 announced a soil vapor sampling study saying they had discovered evidence of a “human decomposition event” emitting from the property’s yard.

On Wednesday and Thursday, many of those scientists including Hoyt, environmental engineer Tim Nelligan and former FBI chemist Brian Eckenrode were at the scene conducting sampling tests of the soil. They collected samples from the home’s backyard as well as its front yard and from a neighboring property.

Hoyt told The Tribune the group brought its initial 2023 findings to the Sheriff’s Office and after some back and forth and finetuning of the science, “they decided to move forward.”

The Tribune has called the lawyers of both Susan Flores and Paul Flores’ father Ruben Flores multiple times this week to request a comment on the search and gotten no response.

Ruben Flores faced trial at the same time as his son for allegedly helping hide the body, but a separate jury found him not guilty.

When a reporter went to Ruben Flores’ Arroyo Grande home seeking comment, Susan Flores told the reporter to leave and did not offer further comment on the situation.

This story was originally published May 8, 2026 at 11:36 AM with the headline “Live Updates: Kristin Smart investigators unload shovels at Susan Flores’ home.”

Read more California to offer newborn parents a month’s supply of this new, free benefit

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *