California Assemblymember Maggy Krell, D-Sacramento, is seeking more information about why federal immigration agents attempted to enter and inspect a Sacramento immigration law firm without a warrant.
Read more With climate risks looming, Lake Tahoe summit marks 30 years of progress
In a Freedom of Information Act request sent earlier this week to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Krell requested information, communications and records of the agents and agencies involved in last week’s visit of a North Natomas law firm.
“Attempting to search a law firm without judicial authorization fits the disturbing national pattern of lawless conduct by ICE agents,” Krell said. “In America, we have the right to be free from unreasonable government searches, and the right to attorney-client privilege.”
The incident unfolded around 9 a.m. Friday when multiple armed U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers arrived — in at least four vehicles — at the Morris Law Group office.
One ICE agent reportedly told employees of the law firm that they had received a list from Washington, D.C., which listed the building’s address as the primary mailing address for people they planned to arrest. The officer then requested to tour the office for beds.
They were turned away multiple times after failing to provide a warrant, but remained in the parking lot for roughly an hour. One ICE agent reportedly told a law firm employee that they could return at 3 a.m. and break windows to enter if they received follow-up orders.
DHS has confirmed that ICE officers were at the law firm and believed it was a “target address” as it was listed as the address for undocumented immigrants. The agency said the officers left after learning the location was a law firm, which has its name in large bold letters on the front of the building.
The encounter was unusual even with a federal administration that has cracked down on both legal and undocumented immigrants in unprecedented ways. The visit also raised questions among legal experts and elected officials, given that law firm offices hold confidential information about clients and most lawyers are aware that a judicial warrant is needed to enter a house or non-public areas of a business.
Read more What are the best up-and-coming cities for homebuyers in California? See the list
In her letter, Krell said the U.S. Justice Department manual has “strict guidelines” for subpoenaing information from attorneys, searching their offices and requiring approval of the deputy assistant attorney general before seeking a search warrant.
Among other asks, she requests any communications between the national DHS office to a local DHS office concerning the Sacramento visit, names of agents and agencies involved in the operation and any materials that provide guidance to DHS agents for search operations involving law firms.
Krell is among the local, state and federal elected leaders who have spoken out since The Sacramento Bee first reported on the incident last week.
California U.S. Sens. Alex Padilla and Adam Schiff have said they plan to investigate the incident. Schiff called ICE’s actions “unconscionable” and an effort to “threaten violence against a law firm because of whom they represent.”
DHS has not responded to follow up questions on the incident, including about the alleged list from Washington D.C. and if the visit was part of a broader operation against law firms.
Krell has a pending lawsuit against the Executive Office for Immigration Review after the agency failed to provide requested records related to the arrests of people during routine immigration court check-ins at the John Moss Federal Building in downtown Sacramento.
Read more The California Supreme Court said it eliminated unaffordable money bail. Did it?
