Stockton woman pleads not guilty to defacing ICE building in Sacramento court

Minutes after she left Sacramento federal court Tuesday morning, Prism Atica explained why she chose to contest two charges related to an incident she freely admits.

Read more Spitz Mediterranean eatery prepares to launch in Roseville. ‘We’re super stoked’

Atica pleaded not guilty in the Robert T. Matsui U.S. Courthouse to two Class C misdemeanor charges. The charges relate to a March incident where Atica spray-painted the outside of a U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement building in Stockton and took down an American flag there, which she discussed in interviews for this story.

Shortly before entering her plea, Megan T. Hopkins was appointed Atica’s defense attorney. This helped spur Atica’s not guilty plea, she explained as she stood outside court Tuesday with supporters around her. “Megan leaned over and whispered and said, ‘You should do this,’” Atica said.

It sets up a next court appearance of June 22. The two charges Atica faces carry possible sentences of 30 days in jail and $5,000 fines.

The day also was an example of a burgeoning trend in the greater Sacramento area, where activists like Atica have faced charges but also haven’t been quick to back down.

Who Atica is and why she’s facing charges

In an interview for this story on Monday, Atica explained that she had gone to the ICE building on March 4 and spray-painted on it, “Be you. All of you. — Prism.” She also said she took down the flag. “I was just like, ‘You don’t deserve to have the U.S. flag, like y’all are being jerks.’”

Atica is a 26-year-old Stockton resident who is active in social justice work there. Her work includes volunteering with the People’s Empowerment Center, according to its CEO RC Thompson. Asked how she felt about the charges that Atica is facing, Thompson said Atica is part of a wave of activism from younger generations.

“They’re feeling rage,” Thompson said. “They’re feeling betrayed by the government. And so when we see families broken apart … Prism has always been a person who has fought for families and fought for families to be together, no matter their sexual orientation or their immigrant status.”

Ezra Kottler, an assistant professor at University of the Pacific, said that Atica “really doing a lot of important work in the communities that she’s based in.”

Atica came out as trans femme in 2023. She was charged under the name Michael Wayne Cozzens. U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeremy D. Peterson made some effort to support Atica’s gender identity Tuesday. This included Peterson referring to her as “Miss” and apologizing when he at one point misgendered her.

Read more Judge rejects Green Party candidate’s bid to get on governor ballot

It contrasted greatly with an appearance in Sacramento Superior Court on Monday, when Atica appeared to face misdemeanor charges from a separate, February incident at Sacramento International Airport. In court Monday, the judge called Atica as Michael Cozzens and appeared indifferent to Atica’s identity.

As she stood Tuesday morning outside the federal courtroom that her case was heard in, Atica smiled, saying this was the first time a judge had acted this way toward her.

Who is supporting Atica

Kottler was among about half a dozen supporters who came to court with Atica on Monday. R

Several people showed up to federal court on Tuesday to support Atica, representing Camp For Justice, Sac Immigration Committee and Decarcerate Sacramento. The group was also supporting Joshua Masias, a Camp For Justice member who was facing misdemeanor charges.

Sisi Feay, a member of Camp For Justice, said she had pending charges of her own. “Jesus Christ, like for the last month… month and a half, it’s been court every week for somebody else,” Feay said.

Atica was also supported by her father Spencer Cozzens, who also attended court with her both days. He watched Tuesday morning as his daughter chatted amiably with a federal prosecutor, prior to her court appearance.

“I’m 100% convinced that she doesn’t understand the gravity,” Spencer Cozzens said. “She believes in a better world than what we have. And that’s where she chooses to live.”

Atica said that her parents want her to say she was insane. She rejects this.

“Genuinely, that’s just a lie,” Atica said. “Because even though it was a little bit in, like, a grandiose state, I stand behind everything I did.”

Read more Sacramento County candidate Cofer faces complaint alleging false income statement

This is a developing story; check back with sacbee.com for updates.

This story was originally published May 12, 2026 at 11:51 AM.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *