The parents of three young men who died in a crash on Roseville Road in August 2025 have sued Sacramento over alleged dangerous conditions on the arterial, which has seen a string of fatal collisions within city limits.
Read more College Football Fans Pushing For ‘No Fall Weddings’ Are Extremely Childish
Attorneys for Sahatullah and Rahima Durrani filed the wrongful death lawsuit in Sacramento Superior Court in early August. Three of the couple’s sons — Omar, 25, a truck driver; Hashmatullah, 24, a security guard; and Mohammad, 22, a student — died after the driver of a Ford F-150 collided with their Dodge Charger on Aug. 2, 2025.
The crash that killed the Durrani brothers occurred on a perilous 1.8-mile segment of Roseville Road that lies within Sacramento city limits.
Sam Fareed, an attorney for the Durranis, has known the family for years. He said, “The dad is a walking shell.”
Fareed said the Durranis emigrated from Afghanistan to California when their children were young; their five boys grew up in the U.S. On the night of the fatal crash, he said, Omar had been in a separate traffic collision and called one of his brothers, Hashmatullah, to ask him to pick him up. Mohammad tagged along. The trio was killed on the way home.
Jennifer Singer, a spokesperson for Sacramento, declined to comment on the case because the city had not yet been served.
Previous Sacramento Bee reporting has revealed that in addition to Omar, Hashmatullah and Mohammad, five other men have died in four crashes on that segment since January 2024. Officials have placed part of this stretch of Roseville Road on the city’s “high-injury network.”
Most of the 1.8-mile segment of Roseville that’s within the city has a posted speed limit of 50 mph, with one lane in each direction, narrow shoulders and no sidewalks. It’s largely a straightaway with clear sight lines, which allows drivers to pick up speed more easily.
The vast majority of fatal crashes are preventable with changes to infrastructure and policy. With that in mind, in 2017, the City Council made a “Vision Zero” pledge to eliminate all traffic fatalities and serious injuries by 2027. That goal is no longer within reach, and annual traffic deaths have increased since 2017.
Read more How Does the Tennessee Titans’ Depth Change Following D’Ernest Johnson’s Signing
This year, at least 28 people have died in collisions on city streets. Three of those people were killed on Roseville Road: A June crash killed both Salvador Rodriguez Tafoya, 47, and Javier Rebolledo Gomez, 27, while an April crash killed Forrest Murray Coss, 70. In 2024, Michael J. Kennedy, 40, died on the road segment, and Jonathon T. Slaugh, 62, died nearby in 2025, about six months before the Durrani brothers.
Does Sacramento plan to fix Roseville Road?
The Transportation Priorities Plan contains an infrastructure intervention to slow traffic on Roseville, which could reduce the number of crashes and would reduce the severity of those that still occurred. The plan would add sidewalks and a physically separated bike path to connect travelers to the light rail station at Tri Stations Road.
But the project is considered a low priority, and the city has a huge backlog of road improvement plans. Department of Public Works spokesperson Gabby Miller told The Bee in June that the city is working toward two shorter-term interventions, including a safety-focused quick-build at the intersection of Roseville Road and Connie Drive.
In their lawsuit, the Durranis named three more defendants: Caltrans, Sacramento County and the Ford F-150 driver, who was injured but survived the crash with the brothers’ much smaller Dodge Charger.
A spokesperson for Caltrans, Dennis Keaton, declined to comment on pending litigation. Kim Nava, a spokesperson for the county, also declined to comment for the same reason.
Beyond the five crashes that have killed eight people within the city since 2024, a sixth deadly crash occurred on Roseville Road just outside city limits in January 2025.
In that incident, a truck driver fatally struck Wendy Connell, 55, as she rode her bike in a crosswalk headed northeast on Roseville. Connell lived at the city’s Roseville Road homeless shelter. Her partner, Phillip Minton, said she chose to bike to the dentist that day because the couple did not have a car, and she viewed biking northeast from the shelter as the safest option. On that route, she could spend more time on the sidewalk, out of the flow of vehicle traffic.
If she had taken the alternate route, she would have gone southwest on Roseville toward the Sacramento Regional Transit station, walking in traffic. On that stretch of road, the city has not installed a sidewalk.
Read more Lincoln Riley’s Offers Exciting Take on USC Trojans Defensive Tackle Depth
The Bee’s Theresa Clift contributed reporting.
