Third threat in 3 days targets Wheatland schools. Officials say campuses are safe

Wheatland schools opened as scheduled Thursday despite a third consecutive day of anonymous threats after law enforcement swept campuses and determined the latest call was not credible, school officials said.

Read more Did a recent ruling kill California’s multi-million-dollar bail bonds industry?

Unlike threats earlier in the week that affected Wheatland Union High School and Bear River School, the latest anonymous caller did not identify a specific campus and referred only to “schools in Wheatland,” according to a joint message from the Yuba County town’s two school districts.

“All schools in both districts will be open today on our normal schedules,” Wheatland Union High School District Superintendent Nicole Newman and Wheatland School District Superintendent Angela Gouker said in the message.

The districts said security walks were completed at the campuses at the end of the day Wednesday and additional security was posted overnight.

Officials also reviewed surveillance footage and confirmed no unauthorized people had entered any campus overnight. Law enforcement swept the campuses again Thursday morning.

“Law enforcement has determined the call is not credible, and there is nothing to suggest any actual threat to our students or staff,” the superintendents said. “Given the above, we are confident in opening today as scheduled.”

Security will remain in place at the schools, officials said, and counselors will be available for students who feel uneasy about attending classes.

Wheatland schools targeted for third day

Thursday’s call followed two days of threats that disrupted classes in the Yuba County community of 3,700 residents.

Read more The California Supreme Court said it eliminated unaffordable money bail. Did it?

On Tuesday, Yuba County dispatchers received a computer-generated telephone bomb threat at 2:07 a.m. claiming an explosive device had been left at Wheatland Union High School and would detonate unless a ransom was paid.

Nine explosive-detection K-9 teams searched the high school and found no explosive devices. Authorities declared the campus safe at about 11:30 a.m., but school officials canceled classes for the day.

Wheatland police later described Tuesday’s threat as a hoax.

Another threat Wednesday affected Wheatland Union High and nearby Bear River School, which serves students in fourth through eighth grades.

Wheatland High’s roughly 1,200 students were initially told to stay home Wednesday while law enforcement investigated. The Yuba County Sheriff’s Office later gave the campus an all-clear after nothing was found, and classes began at 10 a.m.

Bear River officials canceled classes Wednesday for its 600 students while authorities searched that campus with bomb-sniffing dogs.

Officials had not said Thursday morning whether the three days of threats were connected or who was responsible.

Read more California lawmaker seeks DHS records after ICE visits law firm in Sacramento

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *